Sunday 8 September 2013

New Bait

7lb 0z  from a different stretch.
Well the new worm plus Krill boilies arrived from Darren at the Hookbait Company  I was really looking forward to trying it out. It certainly looks and smells like its worth all the praise the lads are giving it.
I left home after dinner on Sunday anticipating some action, the weather was overcast with  the hint of a shower in the air.
 Arriving at the river there was a distinct autumnal chill in the air.
My chosen swim was a sharp drop off after some shallows, below more shallows, the perfect holding spot for some big chub. Twenty or so of the new baits were fed into the swim, fifteen minutes later the first cast was made towards an overhanging willow on the far bank, after some ten or so minutes without a touch another cast was made, this time a little lower down the swim, I tightened up the bow in the line but still left a small bow giving the chub some time to hang on to the bait, and me more time to hit the finicky bites. I didn't have to wait long, a sharp tap and a drop back, the strike was swift but no fish on, which amazed me, drop backs are usually so reliable.
By this time  the promised shower was with me, the trouble is it went on for an hour and a half, and guess what, no coat, I was drenched, I stuck it out for another half an hour but by this time I was getting cold, and with no more bites forthcoming decided to knock it on the head.
The bait though has given me hope for the future trips, the chub in this river had not seen it before, but were straight onto it. Maybe time to change  from the ever reliable 3-B.
Times are changing on the Stour, this is now a rare sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment